Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Edith Farnsworth Residence | Plano, Illinois | 1946-1951
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) with Ludwig Hilberseimer & Alfred Caldwell (Landscape Architect) | Lafayette Park | Detroit, Michigan | 1955-1963 | Photo: Michael Zuhorski
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Neue Nationalgalerie | Berlin | 1968
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Robert F. Carr Memorial Chapel of St. Savior (The God Box) | Illinois Institute of Techology (IIT) | Chicago, Ill | 1949-1952
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | 860–880 Lake Shore Drive | Chicago | 1949-1951 | Photo: Canon EOS 60D, 17-40mm f.4 lens
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Villa Tugendhat | Brno, Czech Republic | 1928-1930
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Haus Esters | Krefeld, Germany | 1928-1930
Per Rudy Godinez:
Mies van der Rohe, Esters House, (1927-1930)
Mies viewed the Esters House project as an opportunity to perfect the design of the residential house. His goal was to connect the architectural rhythm of the building with the adjacent exterior space. Unlike the Wolf and Riehl Houses, the Esters house did not enjoy panoramic views. To resolve this situation, Mies installed large windows and access doors to the terrace that create a visual dialogue with the outdoors.
The design stands in contrast to Mies’ approach employed in the urbanization of Stuttgart, here the architect rejects the concept of a single fluid space in favor of a sequence of separate rooms.
The main structure of the houses was constructed from steel, allowing the architect to cut large holes in the exterior walls for large windows that would have been otherwise impossible to install into regular brick walls. This method gave the exterior walls the appearance of being liberated from any static force and creates a visual contradiction between their aesthetic appearance and their structural reality.
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969) | Analysis of the 50 x 50 House project (unbuilt) | 1950-1952